Wednesday, October 24, 2012

BEHIND THE LENS




Marlon Advincula’s childhood dream of bringing Law and Order into his life as a top litigator is nothing less than a blur now whenever he’s asked about his younger years. Instead of a briefcase, he carries around a luggage of cameras and studio lights. He has developed a more subjective mind, rather than the “I object” attitude.


Being an expert in computer programs, having graduated with a degree in Information Techology, he took his first assignment in photography as a photo “re-toucher” at the Lito Sy studio in 2004. 


Opportunity came a-calling when the studio manager, Roy Oliveros, asked him to take his 1x1 ID photo. The camera, back then, seemed like rocket science for him as he had never used the DSLR before. Roy showed Marlon some basic settings on the camera. After seeing how it sparked his student’s interest, he taught him more than just a brief 101. 



“Then he asked me if I wanted to become a photographer. It was like an instant promotion, right then and there,” Marlon recalls.



“I learned more about photography when I finally got to work side by side with Mr. Lito Sy, shooting for portrait, fashion and weddings. He is a very passionate photographer and a strict teacher. I learned from him the discipline, dedication, and love for photography. Working with him is every photographer’s dream. He’s not just a good teacher, but also a cool friend.”



Marlon stayed on with Lito Sy’s production outfit for almost six years before he decided to branch out his talents and work with other talents. “In 2009, my friend, Vinz Valdellon, introduced me to Paul Borromeo. Even before we were introduced, I was already familiar with his work, which I got to browse through online. I have always been fascinated by his lighting techniques. Soon, I was given the chance to shoot with him at his studio, and that experience added more ideas in my think tank. Whenever we work, we do not only shoot but we also share techniques and pegs. It came to the point that we decided to share our advocacy with the budding breed of shutterbugs by conducting a portraiture workshop. From there, Lyrical Light Workshop was born. It was a creative venue where we put up a whole production for all the photographers to explore with and shoot.”



Early this year, Marlon finally took a brave step to go solo and offer his services to clients as a wedding photographer. It was a career move that showed a lot of promise, especially for this visual artist. Judging from his set of photos online, his trained eye has the capability to foresee magic and bliss in between scenes and moments in a wedding.



“I take on both the traditional and modern approach when it comes to wedding photography. It’s all about the emotion. I call my style Multidimensional. I always try on different techniques, what the clients want, and what my eyes see. I also find harmony and romance with the vintage look.”


When asked for some pointers, especially for those who are learning photography, Marlon shares, “Read, study and practice. Do not limit yourself to one style or what the others are doing. Be bold and try all techniques. Eventually, you will just discover your own style. Train your eye, be open to all possibilities, and the rest will follow. Like what my mentor, Lito Sy, once said, you should shoot with your all your heart.”
Checkout Marlon Advincula’s websites at http://www.marlonadvincula.blogspot.com and http://trunkzamakuza.multiply.com for his portfolio of wedding, fashion, and portrait photos. For inquiries, please call 0920-7916920 or 0923-4411171. You may also visit his studio located at the 2nd floor of Sulit Bldg, across Ateneo de Davao gradeschool campus, McArthur Highway, Matina, Davao City. 
---
Story published on my newspaper column, Metro Mom.
A1 and A4, INdulge section, Edge Davao, Vol. 5 Issue 167, 24 October 2012.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home