Wednesday, March 5, 2014

FACE VALUE


 
Carine Bacani is more than just a pretty face. At first glance, she may look like any sweet and fragile lady. Well-mannered, graceful and every-inch-so-feminine, you’d be surprised to see this mom of two lifting kettlebells and jumping double-under inside the CrossFit Box. Her take on life is always refreshing and inspiring. As if her beauty and wit are not enough, Carine is also a burgeoning makeup artist in the city. To date, she is one of the most photographed aestheticians in town, trusted by the crème de la crème.
 
 
Beauty call
“They say children learn by example. As early as 6 years old, I already became a keen observer of how my mom would put on makeup for work.”

“I tinkered around with my mom’s makeup and try them on following instructions in the magazines. When I was in high school, I remember visiting the MAC Cosmetics store in Makati when it first opened. My jaw dropped! Everything looked so beautiful and they even happily gave makeovers! I was still a student at that time and I couldn’t afford to buy my own makeup, so the free makeovers were a real treat!”
 
Carine and her family
“I finished college in Manila and worked in a bank before pursuing a career in beauty. I have always known where my passion lies, so I enrolled in the Professional Makeup Artistry course of the Macquillage Professionnel at the Fort in Manila.”
 
 

Carine and her husband, Alpi, spent their first few years of married life in Australia and then moved to Davao just three years ago. While Alpi devoted his time in agricultural ventures, Carine finally gained ground in her own field and soon her clientele grew by the numbers.


The Look
“I don’t use makeup to transform a woman’s face. Rather, I use it to enhance and accentuate her best features and let her distinct beauty shine through.”
 
 
What is it about your style that sets you apart from other makeup artists?

“I think reverse contouring is very flattering especially for us Filipinas. Instead of applying a darker contour powder, I do the opposite which is using a shade lighter on key areas to brighten and highlight the face.”
 
 
What is the easiest/quickest way to turn a day/work look into something that works for a night out?

“Nothing transforms a look quite as obvious as a bright lip. Go for a daring bright lipstick.” 

 

Are there any celebrities / influential personalities whom you would like to work with?

“If I can travel back in time, I would love to work with Marilyn Monroe. There is something about her easy charm and sex appeal, on and off-screen, that catches one’s attention.”

 
 
Ace of base
“My makeup kit is never complete without a good under eye concealer. This quickly brightens and livens up the face, the makeup becoming an equivalent to a good night’s sleep. Bobbi Brown calls it the ‘secret of the universe.’”

“The perfect under eye concealer is one that is one to three shades lighter than your foundation. This should be set with powder in order to last the whole day.”

What are some common beauty mistakes most women make?

“Do you notice how women’s faces sometimes look a bit ashen in pictures? Choosing a wrong undertone of foundation usually causes this to happen. You have to remember that the undertone is different from the shade of foundation. The shade dictates your color – light, medium, or dark - whereas the undertone dictates your complexion. A cool complexion will have undertones of pink, red, or blue while a warm complexion will have undertones of yellow, gold, or peach. Filipinas and Asians, in general, have warm complexion with yellow undertone so it’s best to choose a yellow based foundation in your shade.”

How to achieve the dewy-fresh face look?

Carine with husband, Alpi
 “It’s all about the skin. If you take extra care of your skin, your face will always look fresh with or without makeup.”

“Skin care should be part of your everyday routine. I understand that today’s busy woman is tired at end of the day but this is no excuse to sleep with makeup on. Always remove your makeup and cleanse the face thoroughly at the end of the day. Moisturize, put on a good eye cream, drink a lot of water and get 8 hours of sleep. Your 70 year old self will thank you for it.”
---
Story published on my newspaper column, Metro Mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home