Saturday, September 1, 2012

VISUAL IMPACT



The candy colored hair, his sweet nonchalance to easy to sell art, and the comfy printed loose shirt are probably what set Aidx Paredes apart from his class. He is definitely no ordinary student. A peek in his bag will somehow tell you the busy life this lad has. Between scribbles and doodles in his trusty planner and note pad are few anecdotes from his own light bulb moments.

                                                                          
Legally 18, Adriane Augustine “Aidx” Paredes is an established photographer and graphic artist. A young blood with a photographer’s eye, the colourful imagination of a painter, and the creativity of a writer and stylist… In fashion, he’s probably what you’d call the jack of all trades.


Aidx began his love affair with photography at the age of 12. He took portraits of classmates and friends. Using a 4-megapixel camera, he found his visual style by experimenting on different angles, framing, and exposures. Eventually he became hooked to this hobby, used it as a form of expression, and moved on to taking pictures of different subjects. Books and articles posted online were his friendly tools in learning more about the craft.


“I compared my photos with those that were done by professionals, and I tried to figure out what’s wrong in my photos or how I could improve it. Practice makes perfect. It took a lot of trials and errors, but that’s part of learning. You learn by mistake. The video portals on the internet gave me an opportunity to see how professionals achieve a certain effect. While it served me well in honing my skills, at the end of the day, I knew no one can ever mimic the style of others. Just like beauty, I’d like to think photography is in the eyes of the beholder. You should let your visual style shine through your art.”


At 15, he started blogging and used it as his form of photo diary. “I am a frustrated writer. So I post my little poems and ideas there, and complemented them with my photos. I try to blog as much as I can, as there is so much I want to share with everyone. As long as I have eyes to see, I don’t think I will ever stop taking pictures. I find metaphors in everything I see and feel.”

A self-effacing achiever, Aidx moved on to fashion photography and made his debut as a professional photographer at the age of 17. He began a beautiful friendship with the creative team of SOUL Lifestyle, a home-grown clothing brand, and his career took off with the launch of the brand’s billboard. “Then, I just saw it. Photographed by Aidx Paredes. Hehe, “ he quips. From then on, he has been collaborating with SOUL for their billboards and ad boards.


To supplement his budding career, he embarked on a one man exhibit in January 2012, amply entitled “The Edge of Seventeen.” He showcased his collection of fashion photos from the past 2 years. It was attended by fellow photographers, who had, early on, taken notice of this young blood’s potentials and unique style. Aidx earned accolades even from entrepreneurs and professional artists.


Aidx got another big break with his recent appointment as the new layout / graphic artist for Zee Magazine, a society magazine based in Cebu and distributed nationwide.


“Photography, art, fashion… This is my niche. And I am comfortable with who I am and the kind of work that I’m doing. I get to enjoy being young and professional at the same time. It’s like having the best of both worlds.”



When asked on what it takes to be a successful photographer, Aidx has only this to say: “Do not be afraid to experiment. Take risks. Break the rules. You can master all the techniques, but it is your personal style that will make you shine. Be confident. Don’t be afraid of criticisms… These are only words of advice given in a little rude way. You’ll eventually learn to swallow them all and learn from them.”


Check out http://aidxparedes.com/ for more about Aidx Paredes, his art, and portfolio.
---

Story published on my newspaper column, Metro Mom.
A1 and A4, INdulge section, Edge Davao newspaper, Vol5 Issue 130, 2-3 Sept 2012.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home